At IPStudies we have been serving our CRISPR patent analytics data to worldwide Fortune 500 companies, biotech ventures, patent law firms, public organizations, and research institutes in Europe, America and Asia since our first launch of a worldwide CRISPR patent landscape of 90 patent families in 2014. In the past 5 years, we have built a unique knowledge of the CRISPR technology patenting by monthly collecting, analyzing and categorizing a total of 5750+ patent families and 160+ licensing agreements (source: IPStudies January 2020 monthly update). Over the past couple of years, our unique, independent CRISPR patent analytics findings have been cited by Nature, The Scientist, Quartz, Bloomberg, Fortune and the WIPO magazine, among others.
In 2019, the CRISPR technology development has transitioned from R&D into maturity stage according to a number of patent analytics indicators:
- With a regular increase of now near 200 patent families published every month, we see a burst in CRISPR application patents, in particular from China, in all fields ranging from agriculture to therapeutics.
- On the technology side, we have compiled a list of more than 100 variants of CRISPR enzymes beyond the best known Cas9 discovery of 2012, with some commercial players trying to exhaustively claim them to secure as broad an IP exclusivity as possible. The different flavors of RNA guides engineered by multiple research teams worldwide make the navigation into the CRISPR system technology landscape even more complex.
- The licensing landscape is also developing faster, with more than 160 deals publicly announced from 2014 to 2019, with a major increase in the therapeutic market, a good indicator that the technology is also maturing for human use, in line with the development of clinical trials worldwide.
To better fit the increasing needs of our customers to focus on specific areas of the complex CRISPR patent landscape, we now offer custom consultancy services such as dedicated trainings and data zooms to facilitate your orientation in both the large patent landscape and its companion complex licensing landscape (contact us for more information).
We also supply our data to a number of patent law firms and Fortune 500 corporate patent information analysts so that they can easily cross-check and integrate it in their internal analyses (contact us for more information on our patent landscape offerings). If you’re only interested in the raw listings, most of our independent, worldwide data compilation files can be ordered online using the Paypal button below:
- Our latest CRISPR patents listing (Excel file – 5000+ patent families) – Download sample
- Our latest CRISPR licenses listing (Excel file – 140+ licensing deals) – Download sample
as well as our independent reports from the 2018 IPStudies patent landscape database: